There is a growing shift towards patient-centred care that actively engages patients and their families in health care decision-making. Having access to straightforward, easy to understand information resources is essential to support families in decision-making.
The ECHO Research, Alberta Research Centre for Health Evidence (ARCHE) and Cochrane Child Health research programs at the University of Alberta aim to engage parents/families in developing processes and resources for connecting parents/families with research-based information on children’s health care.
YOU’RE INVITED TO APPLY TO JOIN OUR PARENTS’ ADVISORY GROUP (PAG)
Needed: Up to 15 volunteers who are…
- Parents, grandparents or legal guardians of children under 18 years of age.
- People who are open, curious, and want to help improve the health system.
- People who are passionate about building something new and able to generalize their own experience to other contexts of care.
- Able to work in a cooperative group and able to access emails and participate in teleconference meetings.
Purpose: To provide advice, guidance, and knowledge from the patient/parent perspective for a variety of activities and initiatives that involve child health research in Alberta. For example:
- Evaluating digital information tools on common pediatric conditions for parents/families.
- Providing input on research processes for developing information resources and decision-making tools for parents/families, physicians and nurses.
- Providing input on how to involve parents/families as ‘researchers’.
- Contributing to building the framework for a sustainable Parents’ Advisory Group.
- 1-year term with option to renew.
- Meeting frequency will be based on need, determined by PAG members in consultation with the researchers. (Estimated 4-8 meetings per year.)
- Meeting attendance will be flexible, and may be in-person and/or via teleconference.
- In-person meetings will be hosted in Edmonton at the U of A campus.
- Meeting length: Approximately 2 hours, evenings or weekends.
- Refreshments/meals and parking reimbursement will be provided for in-person meetings.
- Some work to complete in advance of meeting dates (e.g. reviewing digital tools online).
First meeting was held on June 20th, 2016. Second meeting is planned at the end of September, 2016.
To apply, please write a brief statement (one paragraph) about yourself highlighting your interests and experience, and email your statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.